Saturday 22 May 2021

Sister Signs

During my daily excursions through social media I tend to pop in and read astrology discussions. Invariably, it's a mixed bag of comments with professional astrologers and amateurs swapping information. However, a few weeks ago, I saw a comment in an astrology thread which said, 

"In astrology, the sign opposite another sign is called the Sister Sign". 

Knowing this to be untrue, I posted a comment saying that the information was incorrect. Cue the trolls! I was bombarded with hateful replies telling me I was wrong and knew nothing. Assuming they perhaps didn't realise that I was an actual astrologer, I told them I've been a professional for 25 years. More abuse! One even said that my 25 years were wasted and that I should seek out a new profession. When I asked how long he'd been an astrologer there was no reply. I asked again. Still no reply. So I checked out his profile. He wasn't an astrologer at all. I tore him to pieces - verbally, of course - and he blocked me, as did most of the others.

My main concern about this incident is that a lot of the people in the discussion were there to learn. However, they were being totally blown off course by misinformation from others who either didn't know enough or didn't know anything. There's too much of this on social media - people pretending to be experts and sabotaging those who genuinely are. Is it deliberate? Or does the internet encourage people to change information and pass it off as fact?

I'm not being arrogant when I say this, but if I had met someone like me when I was starting out, I would have felt very lucky to be in the presence of a potential teacher, a person who knew things I didn't and who could give me the information I needed. But obviously these days experience counts for nothing and all they want to do is search the internet for others like themselves. Result: No-one progresses and they all end up believing facts which in reality are not remotely accurate. The Age of Disinformation is upon us and people only believe those who agree with them. A quick Google search revealed that this misconception about Sister Signs has spread throughout the internet. Although I did find a few professional astrologers who, like me, know real astrology. 

Oh, and in case you're wondering, 'Sister Signs' are signs from the same element:- Fire, Earth, Air, Water - which is the reason they're referred to by that name, as each element is like a family of signs all from the same background. It's got nothing to do with actual sisters. So, if you're Aries, your sister signs will be Leo and Sagittarius. If you're Taurus, they'll be Virgo and Capricorn. If you're  Gemini, your sister signs will be Libra and Aquarius, and if you're born under Cancer, you're sister signs are Scorpio and Pisces. 

Incidentally, signs which lie opposite each other across the zodiac circle are called Polarity Signs, sometimes referred to as Complementary Signs. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.



12 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you've had so much crap on social media. Why would anyone argue with an astrologer who has so many years of experience? It makes no sense. I guess that's the mentality of people these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How appalling that a professional in any subject wouldn't be believed by those who don't even know anything! Great article btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be common these days. Everyone wants to re-write the rules.

      Delete
    2. It's the same with every professional in any subject. People have even argued with doctors about Covid. Where's all the resentment and arrogance coming from?

      Delete
    3. Speaking psychologically, it's coming from fear. This has all accelerated since the pandemic arrived in 2020. Yes, social media is full of troublemakers, but now everyone is in permanent defence mode. You can't say anything without being attacked. If you disagree with an opinion, you are called a 'hater'- even though they're the ones doing the hating. Only immature, irrational people hate someone for having a different opinion.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this Sue. Really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why would people who know nothing attack someone who does just to spread lies? Social media is a cesspit of bullies and anarchists. Stay strong Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true! Thanks, Lucy.

      Delete
    2. If you want to lean astrology, social media is the last place to find facts and information. I think most of these people are just attention-seeking because they know how popular astrology is. You called them out, Sue and that's probably why they became hostile. Don't stop fighting for real astrology.

      Delete
    3. Don't worry, Mike. I'm not allowing anyone to disrespect astrology!

      Delete